Shorter days, longer sleep-ins, the crackle of a fireplace, endless cups of tea… Winter 2017 has well and truly arrived! Whether you are a winter-person (and this has you ecstatic) or you are already counting down the days to spring, this cold season can be very harsh on your oral health.
Here are our top 5 tips to help you keep your oral health at its best this winter!
1. Sensitive toothpaste – While we battle to keep our fingers and toes warm, don’t forget our teeth feel the cold too! If cold drinks and a mouthful of ice cream set off your teeth sensitivity, it’s likely cold temperatures could have the same effect. Try using a sensitive toothpaste like Colgate Pro-Relief or Sensodyne to help ease the pain. Did you know you can apply these toothpastes directly to your teeth without rinsing to help with sensitivity? Try it before bed this winter.
2. Stay hydrated – During winter tea and coffee consumption increases dramatically as we keep ourselves warm. While these drinks can be great winter warmers, be aware of any hidden sugars in your mug and make sure all that caffeine doesn’t leave you dehydrated!
3. Vitamin C – Yes, your citrus fruits and Vitamin C tablets can help to keep those nasty winter colds away, but did you know they they can also help your oral health? Vitamin C helps the body produce collagen, which is necessary for healthy gums. Vitamin C is also essential for keeping your blood vessels healthy and your immune system strong. Vitamin C is found in dark green vegetables, tomatoes, strawberries and citrus fruits.
4. Don’t forget your lips – Dry and chapped lips are a common issue in cold wind and on overcast days (due to high UV). Make sure to wear a daily lip balm with a minimum of SPF 15 and always pack your paw-paw cream.
5. Get a dental check up – We know how tempting it can be to stay indoors on the couch all winter, but don’t forget your regular 6-monthly check up and clean appointment. Your regular visits are essential to keeping your oral health in check this season.
Stay warm this winter!