Dental health week, which takes place August 6 - 12, is an annual oral health promotion event organised by the Australian Dental Association.
This years campaign tagline is “Watch your Mouth” - a cheeky pun intended to highlight the importance of practicing good oral health - "Not just your teeth, not just your gums, your whole mouth".
The aim of dental health week is to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health in every aspect of their lives and to encourage the following key habits:
* Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
* Clean in between teeth at least once a day with floss/or an interdental brush
* Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
* Regularly visit the Dentist for your check up’s and preventative treatment
Did you know that according to the Oral Health Tracker Report (2018):
* 65% of Australians haven’t seen a Dentist in the last two years
* 50% of Australians are brushing their teeth only once-a-day
* Nearly 40% never floss or clean between their teeth
* 73% of young people (14-18 years) are consuming too much sugar
The statistics are eye-opening. Remember, no matter how busy you are or where you are in life, it is possible to fit caring for your teeth and gums into your daily routine.
When was your last dental check up? Do you notice your gums bleed when you brush? Or perhaps you have a "niggly" tooth that you've been ignoring? Don't delay, give us a call, or book online to secure your next appointment!
With warm regards,
The Dental 4U Team